Letting kids figure things our for themselves.

So yesterday Arianna came to me and wanted to watch a "zombie movie, but not a kids zombie movie. An actual zombie movie". I told her to bring me her tablet. I looked for a relatively decent zombie movie...and got her started on it..yes she's 8 years old. I didn't do the whole "here's why I won't let you watch it" thing. Later I asked her if she'd watched the whole movie. She said no, I fast forwarded thru the boring parts" I asked her what she'd thought of the movie. She said "well, it was interesting. I did jump a few times and all most peed my pants. I think I'll wait a bit longer before I try adult movies again." So she's learned a) adult movies are for adults for a reason b) she's not ready for them yet c) she's learned that when mom says you might not want to watch something there is a reason behind it and d) she's learning her boundaries on what she feels comfortable watching and e) she's self-regulating. She's made the decision, I haven't told her what she can and can't watch, and she is aware that there are somethings she's not ready for...yet. Win-win situation if you ask me:)

In other news, I've been sick this last week so haven't done much. This weekend we have to arrange for some work to be done on the kids "school" room. So, I'll be finishing packing everything up, getting everything out and then will post some now, during and after photo's of everything as we get the work done and everything back into the room, organized and ready to go for a new school year. 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to school, sort of.

getting organized, slowly but surely

And that went fast!!